ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 167 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#222398 12/02/23 12:49 PM
Cat Servant
I recall various discussions where participants spun entertaining visions of what would / could happen if you painted your receptacles. Visiting a friend at here upscale salon, I saw the designer had embraced a very "industrial" theme.
Metallic paint on receptacles. What could possibly go wrong?
Well, as the attached picture shows, not much.

Attached Images
Salon receptacle.jpg
G
The contacts are recessed pretty far in there but if they did get overzealous with the paint it could be an issue. He probably should have just bought gray devices. That is plenty industrial looking.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Priorities. It all comes down to priorities.
As mentioned, this picture was taken in an expensive salon in a trendy part of town. We're talking $200 haircuts here. Yet, as often is the case, most of the money was put into the "sizzle" rather than the "steak."
The decor had no expense spared. I'm certain a designer was hired. Custom counters and fixtures to create just the right "look." I defy you to find a drop of paint out of place. Yet everything below the surface is, at best, marginal.
The building dates from the 1920's. Windows are single-pane, walls uninsulated, and there are signs of countless renovations over the years (if you know where to look). Look beyond the meticulous conduit runs and you'll find a panel that could have been put in by Edison himself. Beneath that coat of shiny paint you can see the main priority was doing things as cheaply as possible. I would expect to find 50-cent devices used, rather than the $5 commercial grade grey devices. (Any color you want, as long as you want ivory!).

To their credit, the receptacle appears to have but one thin coat of paint. I can't count all the times I've seen apartments with so many coats of paint on the devices that you almost need power tools to remove cover plates. There must be a law somewhere that bans removing covers before painting! It is those places where I often find scorch marks behind the plugs.

Link Copied to Clipboard