ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 167 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trumpy Offline OP
We all new it would come.
Microsoft said so.
I believe this is the last iteration of Windows before this becomes a paid upgrade system, where it will not have a number anymore.
You will have to accept different upgrades on the fly (as in, it will make you download them).
As far as I'm concerned, I will not be upgrading any further than W10.
I looked at Windows 11 and I hate the UI, there are so many basic things you can't easily change to make it workable, it is made for tablets and possibly large smart-phones?
Which is great if you use a desk-top, like I do.

I've never been a gamer by anyone's stretch of the imagination (unless you include Solitaire or maybe Mah Johng), but a few of the young people I've spoken to are really livid at it's lack of performance if you don't buy the latest and greatest of Graphics card (this in itself is not easy these days) or CPU and RAM performance, you might be left out in the cold.

Sure Linux doesn't have a lot of games, but in my experience, after Windows 10 is sent to the dust-bin, that is the way I'm heading, I've used Linux for close to 20 years and it's never put me crook.
All of the so-called driver issues that used to pop up, ironed themselves out in the late 2000's, you can pretty much run most modern mother-boards, CPU's and RAM on Linux.
Yes it is a learning curve, but what isn't these days, with learning HMI interfaces, PLC's, you name it.
Linux is simple.

Has anyone taken the leap into Windows 11?
Your thoughts?

G
Still on 7 here

Greg Fretwell
8.1 here on work Desktop.

I'm not in a hurry to lose use of some of my most used software (but I know it's coming mad )

I bought a Windows 10 Laptop recently (avoiding the free Win 11 upgrade) to get accustomed to it and eventually try some of my older programs on it. (when I get time... so far it's collecting Dust)

Bill
G
I am going to keep a W7 machine forever I imagine because I am too old to buy all new software for things I do. The only thing that may change is streaming and some web sites might move to a different protocol, tuned to tablets or phones. I would just get a newer machine for that or do without.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard