ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by emolatur - 05/18/24 06:12 PM
Electricians revenge
by gfretwell - 05/09/24 08:24 PM
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 39 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
This is the company I work for
www.strasburgrailroad.com

I work as the company electrician. Which involves anything on the property that uses electrons to work. From the 480 that we run the machines on to the computer network to the phone system to the steam driven generators on the locomotives. I wind up knowing a little bit about a lot of things. I joined this site for some help on wiring up the light posts in our station to make sure that I did it right and to code. I haven't taken any code classes so I wind up trying to decipher the book by myself and with the capable help from here, and a few friends in the electrical biz. I have fussed on this site a few times about why the code needs to be written in "philadelphia lawyer" and that's why.

I still need to get some promised pictures.

TW

Edit to answer the original question [Linked Image]
Yup, that's a little steam engine. runs on anthracite coal, like you heat the house with. The big engines run on bituminus, or soft coal.

[This message has been edited by Trainwire (edited 04-29-2004).]

M
TW-
Love the pix, we have some old (1920's) hydraulic presses that had the cylinders sand cast. The bolts for the head plate are 2 5/8 inch. We cut out our own wrench on a laser cutter.

The plant I work in makes all kinds of stuff from steel, so we have all kinds of CNC toys to play with if we need to make tools.

My grandfather ran a steam threshig engine. I got to ride on one just like it in a parade once, 90 hp Case steam engine weighted in around 35 tons.

My favorite part was getting to blow the steam siren, nothing else makes that noise.

J
Thanks for the link Trainwire. Looks like a very cool place to work. I'm glad to see people keeping historic technology alive. I appreciate how far we have come and what it took to get here. People of the past were just as bright, if not more clever working with what they had access to.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard