ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 189 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Occupational Safety Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Safety at heights? gfretwell 04/23/24 07:03 PM
They must have done that for the house they are building up the road from me because they suddenly nailed up railings on the stairs and the wrap around deck. It is 14 feet to the dirt below. Roofers still work un-feathered and that roof is more like 22-23' above ground level at the eaves.
26 18,080 Read More
Re: Safety at heights? HotLine1 04/23/24 06:17 PM
Recently, there seems to be an issue with the single family home builders. Lack of railings at the staircase landings, lack of railings on the stairs, same for the 'balconies'. And 'temporary' stairs to the basements, and upper levels.

I told my inspectors to not enter, leave a red tag.

Wow, the phone calls. "Provide safe, compliant access, or no inspections."

Problem solved.
26 18,080 Read More
Re: Safety at heights? gfretwell 04/22/24 02:36 PM
The fall protection rules in the US are very strict and largely ignored from what I see. Violations around fall protection and training are also always at least 4 of the top 10 OSHA violations cited
I am looking at a roof crew on a 6:12 roof walking around unencumbered by any fall protection at all.
26 18,080 Read More
Re: Safety at heights? marcosandrew 04/22/24 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Folks,
I do a lot of work in my normal job that makes me work at heights, this could be anything from 3 metres (9') off the ground, up to 12 metres (36').
Just a question for you folks, if you guys have to do this sort of thing, how do you approach this?
Obviously there will be a harness, a safety line and some sort of lanyard/ fall arrest unit.
I'm not intrinsically sure what OSHA say about this sort of thing in the US, but I do know here, the person who is expected to do the work needs to have a work plan and a rescue plan, in case something goes wrong.
The floor is open for comments.................

Hey Trumpy,

Thank you for asking this type of question about safety and precautions!

When working at heights, safety is paramount. Following OSHA guidelines in the US https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/qlikview/publications/osha3021.pdf or local regulations elsewhere is crucial.
This includes using proper harnesses, safety lines, and fall arrest systems. Having a detailed work plan and a rescue plan in case of emergencies is essential.
Prioritizing regular equipment inspections, ongoing training, and communication among team members are also key factors in ensuring a safe working environment at heights. Additionally, being aware of weather conditions and potential hazards can further enhance safety measures

Thanks
(Marcos)
26 18,080 Read More
Electrical Nostalgia Jump to new posts
Re: Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative gfretwell 04/21/24 03:20 PM
That is also called candelabra or miniature. Amazon may have what you need

amazon

They also have the bulbs, I am guessing 12v.
Like a lot of things you can buy a couple dozen for the price of 2. You are paying for the package.
Now that you know what you are looking for Home Depot may have them.
1 347 Read More
Electrical Nostalgia Jump to new posts
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative a_gunslinger 04/21/24 04:21 AM
I have an older home with one of those lighted address plaques with the Better Living Thru Electricity emblems on it. The sockets and bulbs have seized. Was hoping to find some of these dual sockets (there are two dual sockets, total 4 small E10 bulbs). I am not finding any, but maybe Im calling them the wrong thing - or they simply do not exist anymore ;^)

Worse case, convert to LED? If I have to go that route, how can I attach old school low volt screw connected to modern LED stuff? Going to push to find the old ones but afrai they might be very specialty. Especially the way they are rivet connected from top. They are actually sort of collectible, with some cool history. Thought they would be easy to obtain (ebay, etc) but not so much.

All thoughts welcome, and appreciated.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
1 347 Read More
Non-US Electrical Systems & Trades Jump to new posts
Re: Do we need grounding? gfretwell 04/07/24 12:32 AM
I am familiar with the RCD systems and when NFPA gets done, I think our solution will be better but more expensive. Between the GFCI and AFCI that incorporates GFPE protection, every circuit will be protected.
The main advantage is, when you get a ground fault, the whole house doesn't go black.
That might be an Easter Egg hunt most of us would like to avoid.
In most cases you will be in eyesight of a GFCI you tripped..
18 2,034 Read More
Re: Do we need grounding? tortuga 04/06/24 05:56 PM
Interestingly Siemens and Eaton both manufacture a 'GFPE' breaker that has a 30ma/2000ms trip level, per some obscure super outdated UL standard.
They can be identified by their 'red' test buttons.

If UL or CSA updated the standard for breakers to the more modern IEC standards for RCD 30ma/25ms they might be a good option for 2-prong NEMA 1- and 2- ungrounded receptacles and 240V equipment.
But for now in the US the only RCD is a 5ma/25/ms UL Class A GFCI, which seems to nuisance trip due to the low 5ma trip level for wet locations.

However since per the NEC article 110.7, no proper functioning circuit should have "short circuits, ground faults, or any connections to ground other than as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code."
thus not more the 30ma flowing on the Equipment ground (Earth Leakage) I am not sure why this GFPE breaker has not replaced the standard breaker (non GFCI ) where a standard breaker is permitted. At least in dry locations or fixed equipment in dwelling units.
18 2,034 Read More
Re: Do we need grounding? tortuga 04/06/24 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by CoolWill
My point, ultimately, is grounding things doesn't necessarily make them safer, much as ungrounded things doesn't necessarily make them dangerous.

One of the problems grounding the metal frames of residential lighting and appliances was supposed to address is Residual Current Leakage (RCD) or 'ground fault' conditions where a metal housing could be elevated to a voltage where touching it with wet hands could result in more than the amount of 'let go' current running thru a person.

In Europe and Japan they have more types of grounding systems than Canada & the US. But no matter what system they use they all employ RCD detection in all the branch circuit breakers.
Given the RCD thresholds being equal in both systems there may not be much difference between grounded and ungrounded systems.

With 'standard' US and Canadian breakers that have no RCD protection a grounded system would be safer, as that offers a default RCD level thru the equipment grounding wire only.

For example if you have say a 5ma/25/ms RCD protection (AKA GFCI) gounded and ungrounded systems are the same and I think a 2-prong NEMA 1- or 2- receptacles would be just as safe as 5- and 6-
18 2,034 Read More